Saturday, May 2, 2009

Bring On Change

May brings change, as do all months, weeks and days. May offers more hope as the trees and vegitation of these semi northern climes, spring to life. Pun intended of course.

Today was a day of mixed bagged, licorice allsort variety. Domestic chores, followed by brief breaks in the mix of wonderful sunshine and spits of rain.
The late afternoon offered up yet another first in my cochlear challanged world. : A wedding!
My friend Mary and I sort of crashed a wedding. I use the term crashed loosely as she was the mother of the daughter that was part of the wedding party. We went uninvited to shoot some pictures of her daughter and beautiful granddaughter that was also part and parcel of the wedding party.

I struggled at first as I was informed that it was a Catholic ceromony. It has been a while since I darkened the doorstep of the Catholic church. Perhaps over 35 years!

But the mass was shorter than those that I remembered from my past. Different in fact.
No latin, nice words, no waffer and red water offered, and a priest that did not conjure up memories of the old men with leering looks from my past church days.

I misssed a great deal of the service, as in typical cochlear implant fashion, I got every 6th word from the second to last pew in the church,
Mattered not, I enjoyed being in a spiritual building with a young couple full of steam and hope in their eyes, sealing a deal that one hopes beats the odds.
No cynicism on my part today, which made me happy with myself.

Fourty five minutes after entering the holy confines, the deal was done, and the couple were announced as an official couple.
Change is wonderful, even with pomp and ceremony!

My friend Mary took me quickly after to meet some wonderful friends of hers, where I was greeted with warmth and acceptance. I love being part of the world again, and revel in the little things that make life so spectacular.
A discussion on the auto industry moved quickly into a discussion on goods produced in China.
I stay out of a lot of economic discussions these days. Not because of lack of passion, but the simple fact that economics requires good comprehension.
Tricky stuff.
No wrong answers in my book, but one needs to listen to the tone, words, and figures, closely.
Us CI folks can miss a rule or fact at the drop of a ling sound. So we try to stay general if we can.
Weather, sports, and taxes are good to stay with when one is handicapped in the hearing department.

None the less, I rose to the proverbial jousting challenge and offered up my simple view of protectionism, and the state of Chinese factories, Dollar stores and cheap goods from Wal Mart swirled in the conversation that I was part of, and in fact leading with some of the time.

Good God man, what a difference a year makes, and a good friend makes! Just to be brought into these places and discussions. The chance to meet, greet, object, swirl, toss, and listen to these wonderful people, has turned me into a social butterfly again!

This from a boy who hid in the cozy confines of home court, and would never go out to take on the world of other people, places, things!

Ahh what pleasures May brings. What changes the earth offers up. What challenges can be made minced meat out of when the attitude of gratitude prevails!

FaceBoook and Twitter be damned! The blogs will always be a place where one can update our community in as many characters as it takes. The universe needs us to write for us! It needs our words to soothe the souls, mend the tears, and break the molds. We write for us, yes, but we write the blogs to make the world better if we can.

May is in in it's infancy yet promises so much hope.
And for that reason, I am grateful for the month.

It has been a long time since I smiled a smile that only a late spring snow could wipe off my face. I am excited about the future for the first time in years!

Bring on more change!

We can take it baby!

Warmest,

David

17 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

amen! but facebook is cool too!

Tom Hannon said...

Hmm! Interesting about Twitter, FaceBook and Blogs! Three analogous signals for a voice in the ethers of cyberspace, yet each so dissimilar! Lately I’ve been reveling in an occasional less than 140 character verbal dropping! One speaks, does anyone really listen?

Tom : Deaf 2006 : CI-Borg 2007 : Luminoid 2008-9

LegalMist said...

What joy you've brought to my day, too, with your enthusiatic embrace of life!

I'm so glad you had a great day. :)

I had a great day today, too. The universe is smiling in at least two corners of the globe!

Sarah Lulu said...

Fantastic news ...I'm also in a bring on change phase ..

Blessed be your new found courage and your new journey.

Pleased to know you on the other side of the world through the blogging world.

p.s. I'm also balance challenged.

Annieofbluegables said...

It all sounds wonderful! I am so glad you had fun and enjoyed yourself.
xxoo
~a

Anonymous said...

And that, is music to my ears my friend :-)

Government Funded Blogger said...

A new lady and new experiences.Good for you ,Dave

Laurie said...

David,

I don't always comment because I read your blog on my phone (and it won't let me comment for some reason) but wanted to tell you that I absolutely love your writings and thoughts and words.

I have thought of you often and am so glad that life is moving forward in a good direction. It isn't always easy but perseverance is the key!

You need to put all this in a book.

I need to devote more time to my blog but other things are occupying my time. I keep waiting for things to "return to normal" but don't know what normal is anymore!

Take care and be blessed. And have a wonderful day!

Laurie in TN

Lori said...

You have put a smile upon my face. How beautiful change can be when you embrace it in this way. How fun for you to be a wedding crasher...lol. I'm thankful for this renewed excitement for your future. Thank you for sharing this with us!

themom said...

I'm so happy that you are re-emerging into the world. Springtime is a great time to reacquaint yourself and with Mary's help...the outlook is great.

smalltownme said...

Wonderful post. Stay excited!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

So many of us go out in the world outside our homes without really thinking about it, but your words cause me to see the true journey involved. From the shelter of home to the social world, you are quite the traveler! Your zest for the challenges of life is inspiring.

Jan D-M said...

Sounds like a delightfully enjoyable day for you. Wonderful.

Jan

kim said...

How nice for you! :-) I know what you mean about sticking to 'safe' topics. Have stuck my foot in my mouth on many an occasion. I do enjoy being with groups of people, though. Weddings can be rough. Glad you had a nice time.

La Belette Rouge said...

Happy May to you: friends, weddings, and change. It sounds like April showers have brought some flowers. Enjoy the blossoms of hope.

lisahgolden said...

I love the smile that spring brings. I'm glad the the reawakening of sorts feels good to you.

John D. said...

I'm up for more change. And it's refreshing to hear someone selling encouragement in the blogosphere for a change. : )